Frequenty Asked Questions

#SafetyWing Insurance Extended FAQ

#What is SafetyWing Insurance?

SafetyWing Insurance is specially designed to meet the medical, travel and lifestyle disruption needs faced by Digital Nomads and other remote workers while they are outside of their home country. In addition to providing benefits such as emergency medical treatment, lost luggage and travel delay, SafetyWing Insurance provides several benefits that are essential for Digital Nomads:

  • Medical and political evacuation in the event of political disruptions or terrorism events, and accommodation replacement in the event of natural disasters *;
  • Transporting a family member from your home country to be with you in the event of an extended hospitalization;
  • Continuous coverage during return visits to your home country for holidays and other times (see also, FAQ #6 for restrictions);
  • Emergency Medical Evacuations;
  • Personal liability coverage for injury or losses to third-parties; Please review the Description of Coverage for the full list of benefits and exclusions.

Coverage excludes countries and regions for which the U.S. Department of State has issued a Level 3 or Level 4 travel advisory.

#Who Can Buy SafetyWing Insurance?

The insurance can be purchased by individuals over the age of 18 years and can provide coverage for people from 14 days to over 80 years of age. Although the product is designed to meet the unique needs of Digital Nomads, Remote Workers and Freelancers, others can buy or be covered by the insurance. U.S. Citizens and residents are not eligible for coverage within the U.S, except as provided under home country coverage or an eligible benefit period. Individuals age 70 to 79 as of the certificate effective date are subject to a $100,000 overall maximum limit or less. Individuals age 80 and over as of the certificate effective date are subject to a $10,000 overall maximum limit.

#How can I get the insurance for a travel companion?

We are currently upgrading the site so that you can purchase insurance coverage for travel companions which could be a friend, spouse, mate, partner, child or other companion. Until the online upgrade is completed, you can contact us through the Chat feature and we can assist with your request. The price indicated on the homepage is the cost per 4-weeks coverage for persons age 14 days to age 39 traveling outside of the U.S.A.

#Where can I travel with SafetyWing Insurance?

You are covered for travel worldwide in over 180 countries* outside of your home country, For certain limited coverage while visiting your home country see FAQ #6.


Some restrictions apply for certain countries under U.S. Government sanctions. If you purchase coverage for travel to one of these countries, you will be contacted to determine if any restrictions apply to your travel.

#How long is coverage good for?

We understand that nomads sometimes do not have an end or return date in mind when they leave their home country. With SafetyWing Insurance you have the ability to only enter a start date and pay for your initial 4-weeks of coverage (28 days). Thereafter, your coverage will automatically extend every 4-weeks until you cancel or for a maximum of 364 days, which ever occurs first. After 364 days you can purchase new coverage if you will be away from your home country longer. This is sort of like many online subscription purchases you may already be familiar with. You will receive an email before your policy extends notifying you that your credit/debit card will be processed prior to the renewal date to continue your coverage unless you cancel.

#Is any coverage provided while I am in my Home Country?

Yes, on a very limited basis. If your Home Country is the United States, you are covered for up to 15 days in the U.S. for each 90 days that you are covered. If your Home Country is not the United States you are covered for 30 days for each 90 days of coverage. Coverage is only for the number of days indicated per 90 days and does not accumulate from period to period. For complete details please refer to the Description of Coverage.

#How do I find a medical provider?

Simply login to and select "find hospital or doctor" from the menu to search for a provider close to your location. We have a worldwide network of qualified doctors, specialists and hospitals. When you get there, show your SafetyWing ID-card to the medical attendant. For the hospitals and doctors in our network, direct billing is sometimes an option, with the medical office submitting the bills directly to the Plan Administrator. After any visit, you will need to submit a Claimant's Statement to the Plan Administrator.

#What is covered?

SafetyWing Insurance provides coverage for unexpected illness or injury, including eligible expenses for hospital, doctor or prescription drugs. It provides this coverage while you travel outside your home country. It does not cover routine checkups and preventative care. In addition, it provides emergency travel-related benefits such as emergency medical evacuation, bedside visit, travel delay and lost checked luggage.

#How much does it cost?

$250 deductible. $250k maximum limit. 1 month is equal to 28 days. Coverage can only be bought for a maximum of 364 days at time.

Age rangePrice per dayUSA addon price per day
18-39$ 1.32$ 1.10
40-49$ 2.14$ 1.84
50-59$ 3.36$ 3.20
60-69$ 4.56$ 4.39
#Who do I contact in an emergency?

If you or another person covered under the SafetyWing Insurance should have a medical emergency, in the U.S.A. you should dial 911 and in other countries contact an ambulance or the local emergency phone number for that country. For claims, a doctor referral or other issues concerning your coverage, contact Tokio Marine HCC-MIS Group: Inside the U.S.A. call 1-(800) 605-2282 Outside the U.S.A. Click Here for list of worldwide toll-free phone numbers

#How do I file a medical claim?

If you need to submit a claim for a bill you paid yourself, you send the original itemized bill and payment receipts, as well as the claim form and submit as follows:

#Paper form
Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group
Box No. 2005
Farmington Hills, MI 48333-2005
#Online forms

All claims must be filed within 60 days following the termination of the insurance.

#Can I cancel?

Yes. You can stop the auto-extension whenever you want at no cost. If you want to cancel in the middle of a period, you will be canceled as of the end of the current period.

#Does SafetyWing Insurance meet the requirements under the Affordable Care Act in the U.S.?

No, it does not. SafetyWing Insurance is specifically designed to provide medical and other travel-related benefits while you are traveling outside of your home country. This is not major medical insurance. For U.S. citizens, SafetyWing Insurance only provides incidental coverage for up to 15 days out of each 90 days of coverage. Your return to your home country cannot be for the purpose of obtaining treatment for an illness or injury that began while traveling and you must continue your international trip after your visit home.

#Important notice and disclaimer concerning the United States

Patient protection and Affordable Care Act

This insurance is not subject to, and does not provide certain insurance benefits required by the United States’ Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”).

PPACA requires certain US citizens or US residents to obtain PPACA compliant health insurance, or “minimum essential coverage.” PPACA also requires certain employers to offer PPACA compliant insurance coverage to their employees. Tax penalties may be imposed on U.S. residents or citizens who do not maintain minimum essential coverage, and on certain employers who do not offer PPACA compliant insurance coverage to their employees. In some cases, certain individuals may be deemed to have minimum essential coverage under PPACA even if their insurance coverage does not provide all of the benefits required by PPACA. You should consult your attorney or tax professional to determine whether this policy meets any obligations you may have under PPACA.

#What health and travel things are not covered?

SafetyWing Insurance is not primary health insurance. Notable exclusions include:

  • Cancer treatment
  • Routine check-ups
  • * Pre-existing conditions (Limited coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions, but not long-term treatment, or chronic or congenital conditions) For a complete list of exclusions and limitations please refer to the Description of Coverage.

Pre-existing Condition means any

  1. condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment (includes receiving services and supplies, consultations, diagnostic tests or prescription medicines) was recommended or received during the 2 years immediately preceding the certificate effective date;
  2. condition that had manifested itself in such a manner that would have caused a reasonably prudent person to seek medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment (includes receiving services and supplies, consultations, diagnostic tests or prescription medicines) within the 2 years immediately preceding the certificate effective date; or
  3. injury, illness, sickness, disease, or other physical, medical, mental, or nervous conditions, disorder or ailment (whether known or unknown) that, with reasonable medical certainty, existed at the time of application or within the 2 years immediately preceding the certificate effective date. For the purposes of the Complications of Pregnancy coverage offered hereunder, pregnancy will not be included within the definition of a pre-existing condition.